[X4U] Re: Verizon Wireless Internet Service

Geoffrey Loeffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Thu Jan 31 16:00:24 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Art Amolsch wrote:

> I have used Verizon Wireless for several months now, and while
> it's not as fast as my Sprint DSL here in SW Florida, it's adequate
> for preparing and publishing newsletters,

Have you run into problems with the FAP, Fair Access Policy, StarBand
or Spacenet, it's parent company is listed at 1 Gig a week.

Verizon 5 Megs a month, this gives me another Meg a month, do they
have a weekly setting that the slows your D/L speeds, if you come
close to the FAP.

What kind of speeds do you see for Downloads. Verizon advertise 1.0
to 1.6 which is pretty fair, of course location matters, but on
average do you see 1 gig and above on D/Ls?   If close to the 5 Megs
FAP do the speeds do speeds stay close to the 1 meg D/L or do they
slow you down. Have you gone over 5 Mgs in a month and if so what
happened.

Appreciate the input, the sales people there do not understand the
FAP policy, they just understand unlimited minutes, FAP is very
important

I am with StarBand now, (set dish) and their supposed to give 1 gig
every 7 days, if I get 600 to 700 megs in a week, they throttle me to
100K Download and I have to wait a week for some of the 7 day rolling
charges to come off before Download speeds will increase again.

Thank you for your help on these questions.

Geoffrey