[X4U] Re: Verizon Wireless Internet Service

Art Amolsch aamolsch at shentel.net
Thu Jan 31 09:34:51 PST 2008

Geoffrey Loeffler wrote:

I am in a internet challenged area of San Diego and have been using StarBand
Satellite, their price is $89.00 a month, I am lucky to get 750 Kb downloads
and am limited to 1 Gig per 7 days or basically 4 Gigs a month. Plus they
throttle or slow down the speeds when you hit about 700 mb or above in a 7
day period, down to 100 K I am tied to the satellite via standalone ethernet
modem connected to an airport base station.

Verizon offers a 5 Gig plan for $59.00 per month. Nothing to jump about but
cheaper and 1.6 to 1 m.b. down load so faster and not tied to a dish. Looks
like the USB mobile connection would work good in my  PowerBook G4 1.67 Ghz.
OS 10.4.11. Just wondered if anyone had used Verizons Broadband service for
internet use and had any feed back on it.
=============
I have used Verizon Wireless for several months now, and while
it's not as fast as my Sprint DSL here in SW Florida, it's adequate
for preparing and publishing newsletters, which is my business.
If the power goes out or there's a phone line problem, it's my
fallback. And when I'm traveling, it's worked so far everywhere I've
been.

Something to consider: Verizon offered me the choice of a card or
a USB modem. I chose the USB for a variety of reasons, but the
downside is that it puts a heavy draw on my MacBook Pro's battery.
On the other hand, if you can usually find an AC outlet, that's no
problem.