[X4U] Re: Verizon Wireless Internet Service

Geoffrey Loeffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Thu Jan 31 23:14:29 PST 2008

  My present provider is StarBand run by Spacenet, their limit is 1
Megabyte a week on a rolling average. Basically 4 Gigs a month,
really less as they  throttle you at about 600 to 700 MBs in a week
at 750Kbs Down Load and 125 Kbs upload. I am paying $89 a month, a
lower home level rate is available for $49.00 which gives you 500 Kbs
Downloads and the same, 1 Megabyte a week on a rolling average of 600
to 700 MBs a week.

Basically 4 Gigs a month, but really hit 600 to 700 and your
throttled down to 100 Kbs until you fall below the 600 MB rolling
average in 7 day average.

StarBand offers a higher rate for 139.00 you get 2 megs a weeks at
1.6 at D/L but so far nobody is really cooking, this is the Nova 1000
and 1500 models, which is only for new customers, not present ones.
The few who have got there new modems for about $300 and a $150
rebate have not got service really going.

Standard broadband agreements for Verzion and every other satellite
or wireless operators that I know, have a Fair Access Policy or FAP.

They try to say it is set up so someone can't hog all the bandwidth.
Sometimes the wireless broadband sellers can be loose with it, to
attract customers. As the new customers arrive, the transponders on
the satellite fill up and to keep from using more transponders, they
start enforcing the the FAP which is way hidden. Nobody at Verizon
knew about it and said oh that's if you run a server or something
because the airtime is free and it is. However, When I pointed out 5
Gigabytes is a monthly limit, they were all surprised. I suppose most
people use it as a back up.

What it really does is limit the user to a certain amount of Band
Width per month. In Verizon's case it's 5 Gigs is nothing. You have
to dig deep to find it in the contract , but having been on satellite
for 3 years, I know it's a big issue. 100 Megs these days is nothing.
I do believe that the cell phones will eat the satellite services up,
they had their chance but Cell is already half the cost for more
speed and larger download limits,

Geoffrey Loeffler
geoffrey at alaska.net