[X4U] Safari question

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 2 21:02:26 PDT 2008

On Jul 2, 2008, at 5:23 AM, Tim Collier wrote:
>> ------------------SNIP----------------------------------------
>
> Well, I guess it depends on how much you trust your ISP.  I have
> DSL from
> AT&T AND Comcast cable.  I've never had an issue with a download.
> All I
> check it how long (more or less) it's going to take.  If you have
> 10.5.x,
> you'll have a download folder on the dock and once the download is
> complete,
> it'll bounce once or twice.  I really rarely sit there and stare at
> the
> download progress.
> --
> Tim Collier
> http://www.timcolliermiami.com/

Tim:

OK I admit I glossed over some information in my posting. This list
does not like long postings so I really cut a lot of information out
to get past the listserv evil counters.

The issue is primarily the company that I am downloading from. If you
do your downloads at a less busy time there is no real issue  as the
downloads startup within a second (or two) of hitting the download
key. The problem comes in when the company is getting quite a few
download requests the download can take up to a minute to start. That
minute is gold for me as I can process my email in which I get
typically 1000+ emails a day and it is almost a full time job just
handling them. When I am waiting more than say 10 seconds I
automatically switch over and do my email when I do that the download
window goes into the background and is hidden from my view. Even if I
switch back to Safari the download window stays hidden. I *think* the
control command Option might help but today I have not gotten any
emails with file instructions to download so it difficult to say if
this will work. I am somewhat hesitant to say its a good until I get
a chance to test it out. Plus since the key sequence is unnatural for
me I will have to really think hard before I use it. I may have to
set up a PFK key to do the sequence as my memory is not great.

Ed