[X4U] Safari question

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 2 23:39:36 PDT 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 12:35 AM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> Ed Gould,
>
>> OK I admit I glossed over some information in my posting. This
>> list does not like long postings so I really cut a lot of
>> information out to get past the listserv evil counters.
>
> I don't think that's even remotely true, and I don't know where you
> got that idea. They don't like long QUOTES of previous posts. I
> have never heard of a post being rejected because it was too long,
> and I think you owe the list mom's an apology for your description.

Not going to happen they still have not released two posts of mine
from a week ago that are being held because they were to long. I even
wrote asking them and did not even get a courtesy of a reply saying
at least yes./no so if they don't reply to a *NICE* request I sure
won't apologize for something I didn't do it was the listserv and how
the list mom set it up so either they should apologize or at least
reject it with an explaination.

>> The issue is primarily the company that I am downloading from. If
>> you do your downloads at a less busy time there is no real issue
>> as the downloads startup within a second (or two) of hitting the
>> download key. The problem comes in when the company is getting
>> quite a few download requests the download can take up to a minute
>> to start. That minute is gold for me as I can process my email in
>> which I get typically 1000+ emails a day and it is almost a full
>> time job just handling them. When I am waiting more than say 10
>> seconds I automatically switch over and do my email when I do that
>> the download window goes into the background and is hidden from my
>> view. Even if I switch back to Safari the download window stays
>> hidden. I *think* the control command Option might help but today
>> I have not gotten any emails with file instructions to download so
>> it difficult to say if this will work. I am somewhat hesitant to
>> say its a good until I get a chance to test it out. Plus since the
>> key sequence is unnatural for me I will have to really think hard
>> before I use it. I may have to set up a PFK key to do the sequence
>> as my memory is not great.
>
> Yeah, or write it on a yellow sticky and put it on your monitor
> until you get used to it?
>
> What is a "PFK key"? You mean a memorized keyboard sequence that
> gets played back? If so, what program or utility do you use for
> that? I've been looking for a good one.

Sorry I use the the term PFK to mean function key. In my past
history  PFK meant Program Function Key in the MAC world its just
called Function Key Its basically the same but where I come each
application can "own" those keys and for each application it means
different things. To try and further illustrate say a word processing
program is running and its programmed to understand that when (your
terminology) say F1 (function key 1) is depressed it means that in
that word processing what ever pre programmed action occurs when it
is depressed (say skip two lines or whatever) or when say a terminal
application is in control and the F1 is pushed it may hang up the
phone. It is basically tells the application to do any preprogrammed
set of operation(s).

Ed

Ed