[X4U] Offtopic - Usenet Question

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Sat Jul 19 21:07:25 PDT 2008

I used to in the ancient past read a lot of the USENET lists. Probably
because they were one of a very limited number of ways to gain
information on computer systems.

My understanding of the way moderated lists work is that a list member
would make a submission, if the moderator OK'd it they would then send
the item out to the distribution list. If not you would get a
rejection note, sometimes you would get nothing. This of course slowed
down the response times but it cleaned up the group to the point that
usually nonsense stuff never crept in.

IIRC, the USENET feed ran something in the area of 100 megabytes of
text per  month. Really nothing by today's standards but a huge deal
back in the 80's.

Jens

On Jul 19, 2008, at 3:37 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

> This is slightly off topic for the list but I am curious about a
> specific mechanism is "handled" in USENET. If you know the answer
> please respond to me privately as I am sure the rest of the group
> isn't interested.
>
> Question: Moderated group(s)
>
> I was told that some moderated groups can be posted to by only
> certain people (I understand this). What I am curious is is it done
> by email address or password or ???
>
> Thanks for anything shared.
> Ed
>
> ps: Sometime along the way I thought I saw a "password" that was
> needed to post (to the moderated group) but I have gotten several
> conflicting opinions

Jens Selvig
...Lost in Montana...