[X4U] Offtopic - Usenet Question

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 20 07:38:36 PDT 2008

On Jul 19, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Jens Selvig wrote:

> I used to in the ancient past read a lot of the USENET lists.
> Probably because they were one of a very limited number of ways to
> gain information on computer systems.
>
> My understanding of the way moderated lists work is that a list
> member would make a submission, if the moderator OK'd it they would
> then send the item out to the distribution list. If not you would
> get a rejection note, sometimes you would get nothing. This of
> course slowed down the response times but it cleaned up the group
> to the point that usually nonsense stuff never crept in.
>
> IIRC, the USENET feed ran something in the area of 100 megabytes of
> text per  month. Really nothing by today's standards but a huge
> deal back in the 80's.
>
> Jens

Jens,

The way I am doing it now I send the email to the moderator and then
he does "something" and it shows up on the list. I have looked at
some auto posters and they appear to have a field for "password" for
each group. That is why I thought it was password oriented. I am just
guessing from here on. It is no big thing as I said it was just
curiosity thats all. Thanks.

Ed