[X4U] Windows closing in Leopard

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Jul 22 07:17:21 PDT 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 3:01 AM, Christopher Collins wrote:
> I can understand you keeping a window open, however, as soon as you
> click on the CF card, then the open window is now focused on the CF
> card.

Put me in the "leave the window there" camp. I arrange and size Finder
windows to work the way I want them, then one disappears? Very annoying.

> Incorrect. As soon as you focus on the CF card, even if the window
> was opened previously, the CF card has the focus and control. Remove
> the CF card, and the reason for the window no longer exists.

I disagree. If I put the contents of a folder I'm looking at into the
trash, should the window close too? It simply goes one step up in the
hierarchy. Depending on how you look at it, you've got "/volumes" or
"Computer" as one step up above the any storage devices. That's what
should come up

What's happening is more like Classic behavior, where there is a one-
on-one correspondence between a folder and the way its contents are
displayed. The whole idea, particularly behind Column view, was to use
a completely different paradigm where a Finder window is simply a
portal through which any content can be viewed. You can even view the
same folder from multiple different windows (not possible in Classic
without using aliases).

Said another way, in Classic, the "window" was supposed to be a
physical representation of the object, so it should disappear when the
object does. In OSX, the "window" is a portal through which you view
an object (contents) and should not disappear just because the object/
contents disappear.

Just my two cents on the topic.

-Mike