[X4U] Windows closing in Leopard

Christopher Collins maclist at analogdigital.com.au
Tue Jul 22 01:01:00 PDT 2008

On 22/07/2008, at 9:55 AM, John Kiss wrote:

>> How can it keep the finder window for your CF card open, if the CF
>> card is no longer there?
> I meant that I like to keep a finder window open at all times
> regardless if the CF is there or not there. If I had a finder window
> open and then insert a CF card, the CF card shows up in the left
> pane of the window. When I eject the CF card, the finder window
> closes even though it was open before I inserted the CF card.

I can understand you keeping a window open, however, as soon as you
click on the CF card, then the open window is now focused on the CF
card.

Eject the CF card and the window can no longer exist, even if it
existed previously, because the device it was focused on (the CF card)
no longer exists.

>> Where would you expect it to change to? No matter where Apple
>> chose, someone wouldn't be happy.
> Why not leave the window open if it was already open and only close
> it if it was opened due to me inserting the CF card.
>
>> So they do what they believe is the right thing. You eject the
>> item, then you no longer need the window.
> True, but only if the window was opened specifically for the CF
> card, then and only then, do I not need the window.

Incorrect. As soon as you focus on the CF card, even if the window was
opened previously, the CF card has the focus and control. Remove the
CF card, and the reason for the window no longer exists.

Change to another device in the sidebar first (hdd or cd/dvd) and the
window will stay open because it is focused on another device.

>> If you do, then change it to another device first.
> The second I click on the eject icon for the CF card, the window
> closes. I'm not sure what you mean by "then change it to another
> device first".

Click on another device in the sidebar such as your hdd or superdrive,
and then only click on the eject button part of the CF card in the
sidebar and your window should stay open as the CF card no longer has
the focus.

I've just checked it again to make sure I am spelling it out
correctly. Don't wanna mislead anyone!

cjc