[X4U] Well, well

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Jul 23 21:56:34 PDT 2008

At 11:25 PM -0500 7/23/08, Ed Gould wrote:
>Great stuff?? yes a little, their mouse suck(a lot) the typical mac
>pro max memory is 32GB, so far my 30" monitor has been "OK". The
>typical mac pro is not all that expandable drive wise.
>
>Hardware does seem to be pretty reliable a nice plus.
>
>I just don't understand why they don't make the mac pro expandable
>to say 128G and have more drive space inside.

I'm trying to decide if you're being sarcastic, or serious.  On one
hand, yes, the mice suck.  What is up with only one mouse button on
the laptops?  At the same time, you're saying that with four HD drive
bays + two optical drive bays, the Mac Pro isn't expandable drive
wise?  You're complaining that the Mac Pro only goes up to 32Gb of
RAM, and not 128Gb?!?!?!  Yikes!  If you're serious, I don't think I
want to know what your computer requirements are.  Personally I'm
ticked they don't make a mid-range tower with say 2 drive bays and
8GB RAM max.

>There OS software is "OK" (Personally I liked OS/2 better). They
>need to focus on software that will cross mac releases and not need
>upgrading all the time. That is a major no-no for me.

Can't disagree here.

>The OEM software is really a mixed bag from excellent, to, shouldn't
>be available for sale because of bugs and crashes.

Um, isn't this also true for Windows?

>The software that comes bundled with the OS is average at best. Mail
>is a extremely poor competitor to Eudora as an example. Ical is
>so-so at best the address book is another ho-hum. Safari is average
>but starting to go up, IMO.

I'm still pissed about Mail.app, as I think it helped kill Eudora,
yet I'm typing this in Eudora as Mail.app can't handle my email load.
It can't even handle the two Admin accounts I use it for.

>The number of fixes, IMO is too high. Someone isn't testing as well
>as they should.

10.5 was a disgrace, I think with 10.5.3 my wife's MacBook might
finally be stable, I still need to upgrade her to 10.5.4.  My G5 2x2
is still sitting at 10.4.11, as I can't afford the lost time from an
unstable system.

Zane