[X4U] Well, well

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 24 06:35:38 PDT 2008

On Jul 24, 2008, at 5:59 AM, Daly Jessup wrote:
> ---------------------------
> SNIP---------------------------------------------------
>> I am serious... While I don't mind (too much) having 4 external
>> drives IMO its a PITA. The memory comment is dead on serious. I
>> have the need for 15+ applications to be running and 32GB is
>> pushing it (a lot) and no I don't run the usual pigs these are
>> just misc apps.
>
> This is still not making sense to me, though I've been trying to
> follow this discussion. Why do you have four external drives? There
> is room inside a Mac Pro for 4 drives. If those are filled and you
> still have four external drives, then your needs are way way above
> the usual. What are the externals? Backup drives?

The 4 backup drives are as follows:
CD Burner
1 Terabyte backup drive (its actually 2 500 GB drives but I am using
it as a RAID 0 so I can have a cheap terabyte worth.
1 400 GB drive for not frequently used apps
1 300 GB drive for videos

> At my company, the guy who makes all our major corporate films
> works on a Mac Pro with four internal terabyte drives, two 30-inch
> screens and 32 GB of RAM and is able to render long movies very
> fast and continue working on other projects.  What are you doing on
> your computer that requires more than 32 GB of RAM?  I am able to
> run my iMac with Photoshop and email and internet and assorted
> background programs, and Excel, all at the same time, and sometimes
> more, like VMWare Fusion, with 3 (three) Gb of RAM!

I am running the finder, address book, Itunes, Hogwasher, quicktime,
dictionary (websters), Ivisit, weather app, betterfinder renamer,
Safari, mail app, iorganize, graphic converter , hogwasher activity
monitor, timbukto pro, Boinc (2 sub applications), Net monitor,
Iweather, Preview. Plus some other apps that do not show up on the
dock. Like I said nothing extraordinary just apps that I use either
continuously or run in the background that I need once an hour or so.
There are other apps of course I did not count the ones that I use
only once a day like Word Perfect and some games that I use rather
infrequently (once or twice a month at most) . I am still paging
quite a bit for essentially running very little, IMO. Not to run on
but in OS2 I had 4GB and ran a LOT more and faster with a way slower
system (currently I have dual G5 2.7Ghz) with OS/2 I had a 100Mhz
pentium).  I need Timbukto pro because I run into issue with the MAC
os that I have a friend take over my system so he can diagnose the
issue so he doesn't have to come over to my place. It turns out that
its been a lifesaver on many occasions  and saved a reboot.