[X4U] Well, well

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Jul 24 08:12:32 PDT 2008

At 7:37 AM -0400 7/24/08, Tim Collier wrote:
>I'm running 10.5.4 on a Mac Pro, a 17 inch MacBook Pro and a 15 inch MacBook
>Pro.  It is stable.  It has been stable since the original release.  All of
>those people kvetching about instability were probably running it on G4s--or
>even, GASP, G3s.  I've also been hearing about people who are trying to run
>it on Macs that don't meet the minimum requirements (867 G4 is the minimum),
>that's where all these complaints of instability come from.  A bunch of
>posters on the list complain about instability and all of a sudden it's a
>fact?  In my opinion (you know what they say about those) 10.5 was designed
>for Intel Macs and G5s.  I know for a fact that it improved my

My wife is running it on a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook with 2GB RAM.  Up
until 10.5.3 it would crash regularly on my son either while using
Safari, or logging out.  I'm nearing the point I'll be willing to
upgrade to 10.5, though as it stands now, I might simply wait until I
upgrade to a Mac Pro (hopefully early next year).

>father-in-law's G5 dual 1 gig.  He had a USB PCI card installed and I
>suspected that it was the culprit that would not allow it to sleep.  If it
>was allowed to sleep, it would not wake up without a hard re-boot.  After
>upgrading to 10.5.4, the problem is gone--I kept telling him to try it but
>he's 73 and doesn't like 'change'.  Now, he thanks me.

This sounds like a firmware problem on the card, I had the same issue
with a Narrow SCSI card in my Rev.0 PowerMac G4/450 AGP.

>The improvements in recent software has made using the iPhone G3 a pleasure.
>I agree with you in regard to 128 gig of RAM, who could possibly use that
>unless it's some type of Major Graphics Workhorse--even then I'm not sure
>that 128 is necessary.  As for storage, you can Max out a Mac Pro with 4
>terabytes.  I guess some people have a need to store everything and anything
>they've ever come in contact with since birth?

I can somewhat understand the storage, though it sounds like in Ed's
case, some HD upgrades would largely solve that issue.  I know that
since buying a Nikon D300, and shooting everything in RAW 12MP I'm
chewing through diskspace at a nice rate.   I can't understand the
128GB of RAM.  Photoshop can't even address that much yet.

>  >From what I've been reading, an EFI motherboard is available in Europe right
>now and will be here within a few months.  Buy the motherboard, an Apple
>compatible video card and the mid-range tower of your choice and your desire
>will be a reality.  With what's happening with Pystar, I think the best
>choice is to build it yourself.  The likelihood of Apple going after an
>individual is remote.

That sounds interesting, although I don't mind spending the
additional money on quality *SUPPORTED* hardware from Apple.

Zane