[X4U] Well, well

Dave B DaveB_Lists_1004 at gto.net
Thu Jul 24 08:06:48 PDT 2008

On 24-Jul-08, at 07:37, Tim Collier wrote:

> I'm running 10.5.4 on a Mac Pro, a 17 inch MacBook Pro and a 15 inch
> MacBook
> Pro.  It is stable.  It has been stable since the original release.
> All of
> those people kvetching about instability were probably running it on
> G4s--or
> even, GASP, G3s.  I've also been hearing about people who are trying
> to run
> it on Macs that don't meet the minimum requirements (867 G4 is the
> minimum),
> that's where all these complaints of instability come from.  A bunch
> of
> posters on the list complain about instability and all of a sudden
> it's a
> fact?

10.5.4 appears to be stable, that I will agree to. 10.5 (.0, .1, .2,
and .3) were an exercise in frustration. I have had the 'pleasure' of
removing Leopard from almost as many machines as I've installed it
onto. I've even removed Leopard and installed Tiger on brand new
hardware. Some love Leopard, many despise it. The more experienced a
user is, the less likely they are to like Leopard.

As an example of Leopard's instability, my personal MacBook Pro CD 15"
was rock solid under Tiger. I cloned it and then erased the drive and
did a clean install of Leopard. I experienced kernel panics for the
first time on this machine! App crashes were also common, even Apple
apps. Multiple fresh installs, combo updates, etc never helped. I'm
glad I had my clone of Tiger available so I could work. Eventually I
migrated my data to Leopard, but it wasn't until the latest update
that stability came to the OS and many of the apps. I had 3 Apple apps
crash on me yesterday. And this isn't 'kvetching', it is my experience!

Don't even mention Leopard Server. It is disgraceful that Apple
required payment for it. Even with the latest updates it is still a
mess. And Apple's server tools are a joke. I know 2 companies who
demanded and received full refunds from Apple for Leopard Server. They
are both back to running Tiger server. That said, I also know others
who are quite happy with Leopard server...

>> From what I've been reading, an EFI motherboard is available in
>> Europe right
> now and will be here within a few months.  Buy the motherboard, an
> Apple
> compatible video card and the mid-range tower of your choice and
> your desire
> will be a reality.  With what's happening with Pystar, I think the
> best
> choice is to build it yourself.  The likelihood of Apple going after
> an
> individual is remote.

Building a "Hackintosh" isn't for the average Mac user. I've done it
and it was a frustrating exercise of multiple installs until I was
able to find the right combination of drivers to have a stable system.
And once it is built and running, turn off software update! Not the
typical "Mac" experience.

I have a number of clients who would love to buy a mid-range tower.
They have been delaying purchasing new equipment because of Leopard
(they are quite happy with Tiger and their current software, thank
you!) and because they don't like the current iMac's. Simply put, the
iMac is too difficult to upgrade/enhance or eventually repair. The
Mini isn't enough machine, and the Mac Pro's are too big, too
expensive, and potentially too loud for them. Notebooks are not
suitable for their workflow. They are looking for a machine that
resembles the spec of the G3/G4 towers. 2 or 3 HD bays, 1 optical
drive, optional WiFi and Bluetooth, USB2 and Firewire 800, Gigabit
ethernet, a replaceable video card and a few expansion slots. And make
it relatively small and quiet!

No company or product is perfect, but that shouldn't stop us from
demanding perfection!

Dave

---
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck, is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners ...