[X4U] Well, well

Tim Collier tim.collier at mac.com
Thu Jul 24 04:37:34 PDT 2008

On 7/24/08 12:56 AM, Zane H. Healy said:

> At 11:25 PM -0500 7/23/08, Ed Gould wrote:
>> Great stuff?? yes a little, their mouse suck(a lot) the typical mac
>> pro max memory is 32GB, so far my 30" monitor has been "OK". The
>> typical mac pro is not all that expandable drive wise.
>>
>> Hardware does seem to be pretty reliable a nice plus.
>>
>> I just don't understand why they don't make the mac pro expandable
>> to say 128G and have more drive space inside.
>
> I'm trying to decide if you're being sarcastic, or serious.  On one
> hand, yes, the mice suck.  What is up with only one mouse button on
> the laptops?  At the same time, you're saying that with four HD drive
> bays + two optical drive bays, the Mac Pro isn't expandable drive
> wise?  You're complaining that the Mac Pro only goes up to 32Gb of
> RAM, and not 128Gb?!?!?!  Yikes!  If you're serious, I don't think I
> want to know what your computer requirements are.  Personally I'm
> ticked they don't make a mid-range tower with say 2 drive bays and
> 8GB RAM max.
>
>> There OS software is "OK" (Personally I liked OS/2 better). They
>> need to focus on software that will cross mac releases and not need
>> upgrading all the time. That is a major no-no for me.
>
> Can't disagree here.
>
>> The OEM software is really a mixed bag from excellent, to, shouldn't
>> be available for sale because of bugs and crashes.
>
> Um, isn't this also true for Windows?
>
>> The software that comes bundled with the OS is average at best. Mail
>> is a extremely poor competitor to Eudora as an example. Ical is
>> so-so at best the address book is another ho-hum. Safari is average
>> but starting to go up, IMO.
>
> I'm still pissed about Mail.app, as I think it helped kill Eudora,
> yet I'm typing this in Eudora as Mail.app can't handle my email load.
> It can't even handle the two Admin accounts I use it for.
>
>> The number of fixes, IMO is too high. Someone isn't testing as well
>> as they should.
>
> 10.5 was a disgrace, I think with 10.5.3 my wife's MacBook might
> finally be stable, I still need to upgrade her to 10.5.4.  My G5 2x2
> is still sitting at 10.4.11, as I can't afford the lost time from an
> unstable system.
>
> Zane
Zane:
I'm running 10.5.4 on a Mac Pro, a 17 inch MacBook Pro and a 15 inch MacBook
Pro.  It is stable.  It has been stable since the original release.  All of
those people kvetching about instability were probably running it on G4s--or
even, GASP, G3s.  I've also been hearing about people who are trying to run
it on Macs that don't meet the minimum requirements (867 G4 is the minimum),
that's where all these complaints of instability come from.  A bunch of
posters on the list complain about instability and all of a sudden it's a
fact?  In my opinion (you know what they say about those) 10.5 was designed
for Intel Macs and G5s.  I know for a fact that it improved my
father-in-law's G5 dual 1 gig.  He had a USB PCI card installed and I
suspected that it was the culprit that would not allow it to sleep.  If it
was allowed to sleep, it would not wake up without a hard re-boot.  After
upgrading to 10.5.4, the problem is gone--I kept telling him to try it but
he's 73 and doesn't like 'change'.  Now, he thanks me.
The improvements in recent software has made using the iPhone G3 a pleasure.
I agree with you in regard to 128 gig of RAM, who could possibly use that
unless it's some type of Major Graphics Workhorse--even then I'm not sure
that 128 is necessary.  As for storage, you can Max out a Mac Pro with 4
terabytes.  I guess some people have a need to store everything and anything
they've ever come in contact with since birth?
>From what I've been reading, an EFI motherboard is available in Europe right
now and will be here within a few months.  Buy the motherboard, an Apple
compatible video card and the mid-range tower of your choice and your desire
will be a reality.  With what's happening with Pystar, I think the best
choice is to build it yourself.  The likelihood of Apple going after an
individual is remote.

--
Tim Collier
MacBook Pro 2.33 gig 4 gig RAM