[X4U] Well, well

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Jul 25 02:47:28 PDT 2008

On 24 Jul, 2008, at 6:35 AM, Ed Gould wrote:

> I am running the finder, address book, Itunes, Hogwasher, quicktime,
> dictionary (websters), Ivisit, weather app, betterfinder renamer,
> Safari, mail app, iorganize, graphic converter , hogwasher activity
> monitor, timbukto pro, Boinc (2 sub applications), Net monitor,
> Iweather, Preview. Plus some other apps that do not show up on the
> dock. Like I said nothing extraordinary just apps that I use either
> continuously or run in the background that I need once an hour or
> so. There are other apps of course I did not count the ones that I
> use only once a day like Word Perfect and some games that I use
> rather infrequently (once or twice a month at most) . I am still
> paging quite a bit for essentially running very little, IMO. Not to
> run on but in OS2 I had 4GB and ran a LOT more and faster with a way
> slower system (currently I have dual G5 2.7Ghz) with OS/2 I had a
> 100Mhz pentium).  I need Timbukto pro because I run into issue with
> the MAC os that I have a friend take over my system so he can
> diagnose the issue so he doesn't have to come over to my place. It
> turns out that its been a lifesaver on many occasions  and saved a
> reboot.

One of the real nasties is Boinc. Another is Timbuktu Pro. Put both of
those on the sideline for a while and see if you clear up some of your
operating problems.

Instead of using Timbuktu, try iChat to synchronize with your friend
and let him control your machine remotely with it.

Then, start shutting down the "non-essentials" like BetterFinder
Renamer, iOrganize, iVisit, Weather, and your program monitors. Get
rid of the fluff and you have a smoother operating machine, especially
if you only use the darn thing "once a day".

I am beginning to think that most of your problem comes under the
title "Owner/Operator Error".