[X4U] Well, well

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Jul 24 15:26:24 PDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 2:52 PM, alexandre wrote:

> the guy's really not convincing: he says he studied them (apple) as
> a competitor yet he tried a mac for the first time 2 years ago!

I don't know about this guy, but the level of "study" some PC
"experts" of the day put into their evaluation of the Mac in those
days made it clear they never actually sat down with one and used it -
just read descriptions and made assumptions based on their experience
with the PC.

One example (from PCWorld I think) was a review of the IIc (?) panning
it because it only had 3 NuBus slots. According to the writer, by the
time you added one card for the video, another for an external drive,
and a third for the scanner, you wouldn't have any slots left over for
the modem. Of course anyone using a Mac at the time would plug the
drive and scanner into the built-in SCSI port, plug the modem into the
modem port, and know the video was built-in -leaving 3 empty slots
remaining.

That's the kind of stuff that passed for expert analysis of the Mac in
those days.

-Mike