[X4U] Well, well

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Thu Jul 24 16:05:53 PDT 2008

Ed . . .

While I haven't looked at your machine . . . I'm guessing that either
you have a hardware problem causing your issues, or you have some
piece of software that is not compatible, or you have a corrupted
preference/third party add on/whatever that is causing your issues.

Your list of apps is not that large (although I did notice that you
appear to have two weather applications running) but a properly
installed Leopard on a machine that does not have a hardware issue is
pretty stable. Leopard is find running plenty of apps on my MacBook
Pro with 3 GB or RAM.

At the moment I have Mail, Firefox, Finder, TextEdit, Preview,
Photoshop Elements 6, System Preferences, LaunchBar, Terminal, and
1Password running. Background processes include WeatherPop, iMonTime,
SlimBatteryMonitor, LIttle Snitch, MenuMeters, iStatMenus, Mozy,
Awaken, FinderPop, MainMenu, MissingSyncMonitor, Synchronize Pro X,
Airport Base Station Agent, FontExplorerXAutoload, and Magical. (not
trying to one-up you on the application list; that's just my normal
set of login utilities and the apps I happen to be running right now).

If you're having issues with as much RAM as you have then . . . it is
most likely not Leopard; but one of those things I mentioned in the
first paragraph. I feel for you . . . particularly if it's an
intermittent hardware problem. My guess is that you've an old version
of some software or else a corrupted preference file or something.