[X4U] Well, well

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 24 09:58:13 PDT 2008

On Jul 24, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> ----------------------SNIP------------
>
> Secondly, how does moving from 10.4 to 10.5 prevent you from
> running Word Perfect?  You shouldn't be able to run it on either,
> except under 3rd party emulation.  It won't run under Classic will
> it?  How would a modern version of Word Perfect work for you?  You
> could always run it under Windows on a Mac Pro.
>
> Zane

Zane:

I have lets plenty of experience running with software that lets say
makes the OS do things that that it wasn't meant to do or bypass an
OS function which was designed to protect yourself against yourself.
It is not pretty to say the least. Vendor(s) will not talk with you
unless you remove the FOREIGN software while they run or to even have
it on the system. They plain out refuse to entertain any problems you
might have. In my case I have at least two really bad application
that basically barely function properly on a unmodified MAC OS. If I
were to toss in the foreign software you are talking about I would
get ZERO support from either vendor. The two applications that I have
the most issue with are ones that I seem to be the only person to
have issues with except the last "bug" which I was finally able to
guide the author to the right area of the code for him to figure out
what the problem was. But it took several months of sending in
problem reports to. The other is an application that as far as I can
figure out the author has does not take any problem reports and if
forced to he does nothing with them.

I am also stuck at the (because of budget issue) on my current
hardware, essentially forever. If I would have known Apple was going
to pull the switch on my system I would not have bought it.

The only thing I can say nice about OS X is that it doesn't crash as
much as OS9 did. I think giving up Eudora caused my system to become
semi stable. Switching to OS X (several different versions) have
really not helped all that much. OS9 to me was nothing more than a
windows machine as it crashed daily (or more).

I am *NOT* a windows fan at all. I had to work on it and it crashed
as much as OS/9 did which was daily or several times a day. I almost
had a "I am mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore" with
the windows machine. I had to endure it one other time and it was
just plain ugly. To be fair the machine was a lap top  and I hate lap
tops.

I am putting myself in a position I know but I suppose if I were ever
to get another machine it would be a linux machine or something else
other than Apple.

Color me an unhappy Apple person because of software (app and OS)
issues and hardware issues.

Ed