[X4U] Well, well

Tim Collier tim.collier at mac.com
Sat Jul 26 06:14:10 PDT 2008

On 7/25/08 11:15 PM, Zane H. Healy said:

> Classic only works on PPC, and PPC support is being ripped out (like
> the 68k, Sparc, and PA-RISC support was prior to the initial release
> of Mac OS X).  What harm would it have done to support what is
> on Intel-based Mac's, another reason for me to upgrade (Lightroom is
> now one of my core applications).
>
> Personally I'm getting tired of Apple dropping major features I use
> with every new version of the OS.
>
> Zane

Wasn't there a song that had a lyric "the times, they are a-changin'"?  The
same applies to Apple and it's computers.  Just as G3 to G5's couldn't run
OS 6 or 7 and things changed with the move from the Motorola processor to
the IBM, and I'm certain there was just as much "carrying on" about it, the
current technologies that we have for general discussion groups allows us in
this era of the internet and such to express our views in an open forum.
Back then, what did we have, a few bulletin boards that could only be
accessed by a very few at 300 bps.  There was no real 'internet' at the
time, just fragmented areas.  There was CompuServe (I used it when it was
still text based) and then came America Online--don't deny it, you all had
an account.
Today, Apple's processor is made by Intel.  And, for better or worse (better
in my opinion) that is what Apple is going to use for the foreseeable
future.  The current trend by Apple is to encourage people to move on to the
Intel based computers (I did and have had a very good experience)...which
are faster than any G(Anything) by a long shot.
So, like it or not, your G3-5 is now legacy hardware.  Apple has moved far
beyond them.  OS 9 is dead, just as dead as OS 6, OS 7 and OS 8.  Classic,
which was just a courtesy, is dead.  You must face facts:  you can either
continue to use your legacy hardware and be left behind or save your pennies
and plan to buy an Intel Mac sometime in the near future.
Another fact that you are going to have to face is that new software will
also be needed.  Clarisworks is just not going to run, nor is Appleworks.
Office 2004 will run but Office 2008 is a Universal Binary Release.
Photoshop 7 will not run but Photoshop CS3 will.  Mail is pretty good as a
part of the OS release and Safari is excellent, but for and integrated
email, contact and calendar experience, Entourage 2008 is the ideal
Solution.  Filemaker 9 runs really well and has some really nice new
features now.  I use Dreamweaver CS3, Flash CS3 and Fireworks CS3 for web
design--all run well on the Intel Mac.
Another major perk with the Intel Macs is that you can run Windows DECENTLY
via emulation software and using Bootcamp, you can run it natively.  If
you're into gaming, this is a big PLUS for me as the best games come out for
Windows and not the Mac.
The future is clear.  Move up to Intel or be left in the dust...the choice
is yours.
--
Tim Collier
MacBook Pro 2.33 gig 4 gig RAM