[X4U] Well, well

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Jul 26 20:22:24 PDT 2008

At 9:14 AM -0400 7/26/08, Tim Collier wrote:
>Today, Apple's processor is made by Intel.  And, for better or worse (better
>in my opinion) that is what Apple is going to use for the foreseeable

I will agree with the better, I felt that the change to Intel should
have occurred with the change to Mac OS X, or at least shortly after.
Finally we're not stuck with CPU's playing catchup except for the
occasional leap in performance.

>future.  The current trend by Apple is to encourage people to move on to the
>Intel based computers (I did and have had a very good experience)...which
>are faster than any G(Anything) by a long shot.
>So, like it or not, your G3-5 is now legacy hardware.  Apple has moved far
>beyond them.  OS 9 is dead, just as dead as OS 6, OS 7 and OS 8.  Classic,
>which was just a courtesy, is dead.  You must face facts:  you can either
>continue to use your legacy hardware and be left behind or save your pennies
>and plan to buy an Intel Mac sometime in the near future.
>Another fact that you are going to have to face is that new software will
>also be needed.  Clarisworks is just not going to run, nor is Appleworks.
>Office 2004 will run but Office 2008 is a Universal Binary Release.
>Photoshop 7 will not run but Photoshop CS3 will.  Mail is pretty good as a
>part of the OS release and Safari is excellent, but for and integrated
>email, contact and calendar experience, Entourage 2008 is the ideal
>Solution.  Filemaker 9 runs really well and has some really nice new
>features now.  I use Dreamweaver CS3, Flash CS3 and Fireworks CS3 for web
>design--all run well on the Intel Mac.

This is just what I've been doing, concentrating on upgrading to
software that has Universal binaries.  Looking at the software I run,
I have almost everything converted to Universal binaries.  I'm
running Office 2008, Adobe Creative Suite 3 Premium, Adobe Lightroom
(upgrading to 2.0 as soon as its released), iLife '08.  The only
non-Mac OS X app I care about running is ClarisDraw, and I keep
trying to get off of it, and keep failing.  I think the last things
to upgrade are FileMaker Pro and Toast.  I'm not sure I'll bother
with FileMaker Pro (might move to MySQL), but will get Toast, though
I'll probably do that the same day when I eventually buy my new Mac
Pro.  This is a lot better than when I made the jump to Mac OS X, and
then had to buy all new versions of my software.

I did just realize one application that isn't Universal, and that is
Eudora, but it will run under Rosetta.  I'm anxiously watching for an
email reader that can replace Eudora, there are a couple of hopeful
replacements being worked on.  Trust me Mail.app can't handle my mail
load, I've tried using it for some administrative accounts for a
couple servers, and it's fallen flat on its face.

>Another major perk with the Intel Macs is that you can run Windows DECENTLY
>via emulation software and using Bootcamp, you can run it natively.  If
>you're into gaming, this is a big PLUS for me as the best games come out for
>Windows and not the Mac.
>The future is clear.  Move up to Intel or be left in the dust...the choice
>is yours.

As near as I can tell, my future is a Mac Pro, running ClarisDraw and
a few others under SheepShaver.  The other stuff being games such as
the original "Master of Orion" and "Warlords 2".  The original 68k
Mac versions were far better than their MS DOS counterparts.

The ability to run Windows and Linux on the same hardware will be a
major plus for me.

I don't mind loosing my Classic apps when I move to Intel, I mind
loosing them when moving from the 2nd to the last, to the last
version of Mac OS X to support my G5.

Zane