[X4U] Well, well

Tim Collier tim.collier at mac.com
Sun Jul 27 05:01:41 PDT 2008

On 7/26/08 11:22 PM, Zane H. Healy said:

> At 9:14 AM -0400 7/26/08, Tim Collier wrote:
>> Today, Apple's processor is made by Intel.  And, for better or worse (better
>> in my opinion) that is what Apple is going to use for the foreseeable
>
> I will agree with the better, I felt that the change to Intel should
> have occurred with the change to Mac OS X, or at least shortly after.
> Finally we're not stuck with CPU's playing catchup except for the
> occasional leap in performance.
>
>> future.  The current trend by Apple is to encourage people to move on to the
>> email, contact and calendar experience, Entourage 2008 is the ideal
>> Solution.  Filemaker 9 runs really well and has some really nice new
>> features now.  I use Dreamweaver CS3, Flash CS3 and Fireworks CS3 for web
>> design--all run well on the Intel Mac.
>
> This is just what I've been doing, concentrating on upgrading to
> software that has Universal binaries.  Looking at the software I run,
> I have almost everything converted to Universal binaries.  I'm
> running Office 2008, Adobe Creative Suite 3 Premium, Adobe Lightroom
...  I think the last things
> to upgrade are FileMaker Pro and Toast.  I'm not sure I'll bother
> with FileMaker Pro (might move to MySQL), but will get Toast, though
> I'll probably do that the same day when I eventually buy my new Mac
> Pro.  This is a lot better than when I made the jump to Mac OS X, and
> then had to buy all new versions of my software.
>
> I did just realize one application that isn't Universal, and that is
> Eudora, but it will run under Rosetta.  I'm anxiously watching for an
> email reader that can replace Eudora, there are a couple of hopeful
> replacements being worked on.  Trust me Mail.app can't handle my mail
> load, I've tried using it for some administrative accounts for a
> couple servers, and it's fallen flat on its face.
>
>> Another major ... Intel or be left in the dust...the choice
>> is yours.
>
> As near as I can tell, my future is a Mac Pro, running ClarisDraw and
> a few others under SheepShaver.  The other stuff being games such as
> the original "Master of Orion" and "Warlords 2".  The original 68k
> Mac versions were far better than their MS DOS counterparts.
>
> The ability to run Windows and Linux on the same hardware will be a
> major plus for me.
>
> I don't mind loosing my Classic apps when I move to Intel, I mind
> loosing them when moving from the 2nd to the last, to the last
> version of Mac OS X to support my G5.
>
> Zane

Zane, one of the major reasons why I did upgrade to Filemaker Pro 9 is that
it gives you the ability to connect to a MySQL database offsite and manage
the data in Filemaker, I like that a LOT.  As for Clarisdraw, ever thought
of buying one of the Wacom drawing pads?  It works with Corel PainterX and
Photoshop.  It's definitely an alternative and not that expensive.
--
Tim Collier
MacBook Pro 2.33 gig 4 gig RAM