[X4U] Question that might pertain to quite a few MAC users

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Jun 5 17:50:06 PDT 2008

Ed Gould asked:

Simon answered:

>>>In all likelihood your gateway device will give you usage stats.
>>>Certainly my old Netgear and current Thomson Speedtouch DSL
>>>gateways give me such info. Once I do the math, over the last 5
>>>days I've been averaging 0.2GB sent each day with 1GB being
>>>received.

Then I asked:

And Simon said:

>I'm not familiar with how cable operators work over in the US but
>you'd need to log into your cable modem and pick up the details from
>there. Can you log into the cable modem?

How do you do that? Using what program?

>Here, I've allocated my gateway device the internal IP of 192.168.0.1

How did you do that?

>so I just need to point a browser at that IP, supply a username and
>password and I can screw up the settings as I see fit. Although to
>really fubar things I download the config file,

How do you do THAT?

>Assuming you haven't changed things too much, look at the info
>supplied by your ISP along with the cable modem when you first got
>it. It should give you log-in details.

I don't know. I got a cable modem about 12 or 13 years ago. They have
replaced it twice since then, and the current one is also our phone
receiver thingie. Anyway, they have never given us any documentation
since the original install, and maybe not even then. I know how to
access Linksys routers, but that's all I know. I don't think I have
ever even thought of accessing a cable modem and I meant it, what do
you use? A browser? Something else?

Daly