[X4U] Question that might pertain to quite a few MAC users

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Thu Jun 5 06:20:25 PDT 2008

On 5 Jun 2008, at 13:14, Daly Jessup wrote:

>> On 5 Jun 2008, at 02:38, Ed Gould wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way (or application) that will give me some idea what I
>>> am currently using in downloads bytes per month?
>
> Simon answered:
>
>> In all likelihood your gateway device will give you usage stats.
>> Certainly my old Netgear and current Thomson Speedtouch DSL
>> gateways give me such info. Once I do the math, over the last 5
>> days I've been averaging 0.2GB sent each day with 1GB being received.
>
> Simon, how do you access that information? I have a cable modem to
> which I attached an Airport Extreme (white "flying saucer" type) and
> all our computers access the internet via the Airport Extreme. Is
> there some way to find out our stats for the household using that
> setup? If not, if I were to attach the cable modem directly to my
> computer, how would I get the stats from that?

I'm not familiar with how cable operators work over in the US but
you'd need to log into your cable modem and pick up the details from
there. Can you log into the cable modem?

Here, I've allocated my gateway device the internal IP of 192.168.0.1
so I just need to point a browser at that IP, supply a username and
password and I can screw up the settings as I see fit. Although to
really fubar things I download the config file, manually tweak it and
then upload it. This allows you to muck things up that the nice GUI
hides from you. It's great.

Sorry. Digression.

Assuming you haven't changed things too much, look at the info
supplied by your ISP along with the cable modem when you first got it.
It should give you log-in details.

ATB

Simon