[X4U] G5 going to sleep intermittantly

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 6 18:23:55 PDT 2008

I have a G5 which seems to go to sleep vary intermittently and can
not figure out why.

The first example is when I run my back ups I *MUST* move the cursor
every 30 minutes or so or else the backup will stop. Of course the
minute I move the mouse  it starts back up again.
There are several programs running at the time like BOINC and a
weather program that does a net inquiry every 10 minutes or so.

At night I leave my system running all the time and getting mail
every 10 minutes and a news reader that runs every 60 minutes  the
going to sleep has only occurred once in the 2 years I have been
doing this.

The sleep time is set for *NEVER*

FWIW I am running 10.4.11 and have 4GB of RAM
The external drives are all FW
2.7Gh dual

Any ideas?

Ed