[X4U] G5 going to sleep intermittantly

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 6 20:22:23 PDT 2008

On Jun 6, 2008, at 9:33 PM, Nick Scalise wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2008, at 8:23 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>
>> I have a G5 which seems to go to sleep vary intermittently and can
>> not figure out why.
>>
>> The first example is when I run my back ups I *MUST* move the
>> cursor every 30 minutes or so or else the backup will stop. Of
>> course the minute I move the mouse  it starts back up again.
>> There are several programs running at the time like BOINC and a
>> weather program that does a net inquiry every 10 minutes or so.
>>
>> At night I leave my system running all the time and getting mail
>> every 10 minutes and a news reader that runs every 60 minutes  the
>> going to sleep has only occurred once in the 2 years I have been
>> doing this.
>
> How dusty are the insides? If the machine is getting to warm, it
> will want to sleep.

Nick,

Interesting question I had not given too much thought about. The
hardware monitor that I run says the temperature is at 29.8C pretty
much all the time. I do spray the insides every 6 months. I don't
smoke so any dust is from the room.

Thanks for the idea and I will take a look at the temperature when I
run my backups Saturday and let everyone know.

Ed