[X4U] Ichat Av behind a firewall

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Jun 14 12:25:28 PDT 2008

Hi Jesse,

Sorry to come in so late on the conversation.

Do you have more than one computer running behind your firewall
router?  (I would assume you do).  If so, I think it might be helpful
to not only open the appropriate ports, but also to forward them to
the IP address of the computer that will be doing the most iChat AV
connections.

On my home system, I have both an iMac and a MacBook.  In my Netgear
router's Port Forwarding setup, I have the following ports set :

5190-5190 (TCP), 5060-5060 (TCP/UDP), 5220-5678 (TCP/UDP), and
16384-16403 (TCP/UDP)  all set to be forwarded to the IP  192.168.1.5
which is on my internal network.

HOWEVER, even with the appropriate ports forwarded/opened, there is
still a problem with many setups.  When you try to connect, do you
read the log that is generated by the Connection Doctor in iChat?
There is a common error, I think -8, that basically means that both of
the computers are behind NAT routers.  That screws things up
significantly.

Are you able to connect to the Apple demonstration accounts

appleu3test01, appleu3test02, appleu3test03, and appleu3test04?  Just
put them in your buddy list, and they should automatically accept any
incoming video chat requests.

Michael