[X4U] End of the line for PPC support from Apple

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Jun 14 22:21:12 PDT 2008

Thanks, an example almost this good would be FileMaker Pro, I bought
2.1 at the same time I got ClarisDraw in '95, and have upgraded it
once to 5.5 (required to work with Mobile for the Palm Pilot).

I actually tend to upgrade a lot more often than these two examples
might indicate.  At the same time I'm sitting next to my Commodore
64, and have a PDP-11 I use sometimes.  I'm a big believe in if
something does the job you need, and there is no good reason to
upgrade you keep the item.  I'm only on my 2nd cell phone, and just
got it a couple months ago after being forced by my carrier to
replace the cell I got 9 years ago.

As people who have been here long enough know, I really do want to
get off of ClarisDraw, but I've yet to find any software that works
as well.  At least there are finally products that will read my
ClarisDraw files and that I can use to convert to other formats.  In
fact I just had a graphic done up in ClarisDraw, and slightly edited
in Adobe Illustrator published in a magazine.  For my simple needs
ClarisDraw is *PERFECT*, and as the successor to MacDraw, I've been
using it since '92.  I suspect that in another 5-10 years I'll still
be using ClarisDraw, and just running it via Emulation, or on an old
system kept around just to run it.

Some of my main apps include Photoshop CS3 Extended, InDesign CS3
(actually I own CS3 Premium), and Lightroom.  I want to upgrade to
10.5, as it has features I want, but it isn't stable enough, and
won't run ClarisDraw.  I want to upgrade to a Mac Pro, as am starting
to feel the need for a faster system, and this one has a dead
ethernet port (I'm online using a PCI NIC) but don't have the money
right now.  Of course realistically 97% of the time this G5 2x2 is
fast enough, and I need to go from 5.5GB to 8GB more than I need a
faster system.  Realistically I'll probably go another year or two
before I upgrade my hardware (which is nearly 5 years old now).

Zane