[X4U] End of the line for PPC support from Apple

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 15 15:39:24 PDT 2008

On Jun 15, 2008, at 1:52 PM, Linda wrote:
>> -------------------------SNIP___________________
>>
> After lugging my 17" PowerBook around through airport security, I
> would buy
> one to use just when traveling. For example. And no, even though
> I'm not a
> big corporate CEO, if I can do my job better, with a better tool,
> then why
> not let me, whether or not my company is publicly held?

Well for one a CEO does not *LUG* computers around they have people
to handle life's little drudgeries.

> And what about people who aren't CEOs who still just want one?

Fine if they don't spend corporate (not theirs) money on one. If they
want one and can afford it why not? But I will bet you a dollar that
every CEO in Fortune the 500 will not shell out their own money for
one. They just get the company to buy it and again a waste of money.

> Life is full of choices that people make that they upgrade for "no
> good
> reason". Some people will buy a Camry instead of a Corolla, when a
> Corolla
> will fill their needs. Some people will buy Ben & Jerry's ice
> cream, when
> the store brand at 1/3 price will fill their needs (then again, who
> NEEDS
> ice cream?). Some people will buy New Balance or Asics rather than
> the store
> brand sneaker. Some people will buy an iPod Video rather than a less
> expensive Nano... So why the hostility toward people who chose to
> upgrade
> their purchase to a more expensive MacBook Air?

I could care less if they buy it on their own dime just don't ask the
shareholders to pay for such a "I've got money and you don't"
attitude. After all its just eye candy. If it were to do any serious
work it would need a DVD/CDROM in it. I know everyone of my friends
and some high level types that demand a DVD/CDROM on their computer
and they work for a living:)
Again you are taking this personally of course everyone has a right
to make up their own mind (assuming its being paid for on their own
dime) as to what computer they want. If its being paid for out of the
corporate coffers then I would hope that they would be cost conscious
and not go for the eye candy. I know there are some less than
honorable types out there and they will go out and get the company to
pick up the tab, I just want to know which so I don't buy any of
their stock. This is similar to buying a corporate jet its for the
status just like a MACBOOK AIR is.

Do you think a CEO is really worried about upgrades? Nope if he wants
it he gets it and the stockholders are getting less dividends. Yea I
know maybe a 1/10th of a penny (at most) for each share. But wasting
money on this extravagance is just about corporate malfeasance. A
corporate jet while not a necessity in 90 percent of the cases there
is a slim 10 percent chance that it is justified. I would like to see
a written justification (that the employees have to do for a software
package). You think a CEO justifies this in reality no, but I sure
do. So what is good for the ........
Face it a MACBOOK air might be a nice item but to have someone else
pay for it is just plain absurd, IMO. Yes CEO's are way overpaid and
they should be able to buy it on their own dime, fine.

> Help me understand, please?
>
> ~Linda

Ed