[X4U] Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 16 22:14:55 PDT 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 7:26 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> -------------------
> SNIP------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------
> Most people here seem to understand that if something works for
> you, it
> would be nice if certain companies didn't force you to go out and
> replace
> it.
>
> Zane

Zane:

This a little bit off topic but it sort of does connect up back at
the end so here it goes.

Once upon a time say 40 years ago a lowly programmer wrote a
subroutine that (its unimportant what the subroutine did to this
story) everyone in the shop used it and there were literally 1000's
of programs that used this subroutine in all of their programs.

Several years go by and its still in use and even more programs use
they same subroutine now the count is up to 2000 and growing.

Same company 30 years later and the subroutine is still working
thousands of time a day (some times more).

Now lets see there have been 10 computer upgrades and oh yes 15
Operating systems upgrades and the routine still works! the computer
is now 200 times faster (or more) that the original one the OS has
Sooooo many bells and whistles that most people can't get their arm
around it all.

This actually has happened in quite a few shops around the US and the
world. What computer and what OS has maintained compatibility after 40
+ years? Yes its a bad old IBM mainframe computer. Whatever you say
IBM's dedication to compatibility is by far the worlds best (on any
platform). Apple can't ever come close not even by a yard.

Now I can just hear some people say but what about Y2K, yes there had
to changes but not necessarily for the subroutine (this may or may
not be the case, the example I know personally did not have any Y2K
issues) In some other cases it did but in a typical example here it
did not. It did not care what version of OS it ran it may or may not
have file I/O and it didn't need any changes to continue to work. IBM
really believes in compatibility something Apple does not.

The upgrades to the computer were needed for processor speed and
capacity and 99++ percent of all the programs did not need re-
compiling or re-writing just because an OS level change occurred or a
newer or bigger CPU was needed.

Now to get all the nay-sayers out of the way the 1 percent of
programs that needed to be changed (or partial rewrite) had to be
done because they depended on some system function that was altered
or dropped or changed. That is a extremely small number compared to
other platforms and languages. Can Apple come close not even close.
Has Apple stagnated not really but the total cost of ownership is
going out of sight because of the new OS or the CPU type and it
really hasn't done much for Apple except to cause people to have
doubts and when there are doubts it is the beginning of the end.

Also, not to put to fine of a point on changes the only real changes
have started to occur somewhere around Y2K. Some people in IBM lost
their way and started to make massive recompiles mandatory. I suspect
that will kill IBM down the road. People buy IBM for stability and
expandability. This screw the user is not going over well in IBM
land. I suspect that (like on here) they have shills that spout the
Apple line. IBM does the same, but for the most part the old timers
know them and disregard their mutterings.

Ed