[X4U] Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Jun 17 20:17:23 PDT 2008

I think that Ed made the point very well in a round about way with
his IBM example.  It is one thing to upgrade your software because
you want to.  I have no problem whatsoever with having to upgrade my
OS because of new hardware, such is the nature of the beast.  I do
have a problem with said OS refusing to allow me to do what a
previous version of the OS would let me do.

Here is what I'm trying to say, FileMaker Pro 2.1 worked just fine up
until the point I needed FileMaker mobile, at which point I upgraded
to FileMaker Pro 5.5, which continues to do everything I need and
then some.  ClarisDraw which was purchased at the same time as
FileMaker 2.1 continues to do everything I need.  I first ran it on
my PowerBook 520c, then on a PowerMac 8500/180, G4/450, and now a G5
2x2.  I've run it on OS's from System 7.1 through Mac OS X 10.4.11,
yet if I move to 10.5, the only way I'll be able to run it is in an
emulator.  Backwards compatibility should be any OS vendors primary
objective.

Just because I like to keep old software around doesn't mean I never
upgrade, I'm running the current versions of Microsoft Office, and
Adobe Creative Suite Premium.  I will spend the money to upgrade if
the upgrade is justified.  I simply don't like being forced to
upgrade me when the product I have does everything I need.  I don't
like being forced into a whole slew of upgrades simply because I want
to upgrade my computer or operating system.

Zane