[X4U] "Backwards Compatibility"

Christopher Collins maclist at analogdigital.com.au
Wed Jun 18 00:26:45 PDT 2008

On 18/06/2008, at 1:17 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>   Backwards compatibility should be any OS vendors primary objective.

What a load of absolute crap this line is!

It is "backwards compatibility" that always limits innovation.

Just look at Windows. So many of the design decisions are and were
made for "backwards compatibility". So now we have major parts of XP
and Vista that are unbelievably limited because of that very design
flaw.

And that’s what backwards compatibility is, it's a design flaw.

Is 10.5 better than 10.4? Yes, I think it is. I find it much more
reliable and much easier to use. So I checked my hardware and found,
yes it will run 10.5.

If I check it and I find "No, it doesn't" then I have to make a
decision about whether I need 10.5 and it's facilities. If I do, then
I have to upgrade my hardware. If I don't, then I don't have to
upgrade my hardware.

If you don't want the facilities of 10.5, then you have no problems.
Stick with 10.4.11 and be happy.

If you want 10.5 and your hardware won't handle it, then decide how
badly you need those features. If the need is great enough you will
upgrade.

If you still don't want to upgrade, then stay with 10.4.11. And don't
keep complaining that Apple should keep limiting innovation by staying
"backwards compatible"

If they had stayed "backwards compatible" when they moved into the
phone market, we would never have had the iPhone.

If you don't want to move from your "beloved" Claris Draw, then stick
with your old hardware and operating system. Don't limit my usage of
the new facilities of 10.5 by forcing Apple to keep Classic Mode just
to support 1 program for 1 person.

Life moves forward. It doesn't stay still, and it doesn't go backwards.

Move with it!

My AUS$0.02 worth!

cjc.