[X4U] "Backwards Compatibility"

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 07:11:40 PDT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 2:26 AM, Christopher Collins wrote:

> On 18/06/2008, at 1:17 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>   Backwards compatibility should be any OS vendors primary objective.
>>

> What a load of absolute crap this line is!
>
> It is "backwards compatibility" that always limits innovation.

I will have to disagree with you on this. Another vendor is
progressing and fast, yet does remain backwards compatibility
extremely well and they now offer to run UNIX on the same box as
their other OS. They have offered TCP/IP for over 10 years   and yet
99.99 percent of the programs they run have really not changed
significantly in over 40 years.  The security on the system is (it
keeps changing the security level so I might be off by off a little
but the last I heard it was certified B1) which is really up there.
The networking compatibility  are *FAR* superior to most anything
else. They offer the best of just about everything (as far as
software and hardware) as to scalability (currently they offer a
processor options that has 50 cpu's as well as just 1). They have
over the years been far ahead of the rest of the computing world
support for various disk and tape systems. They run all (AFAIK) all
the worlds airlines reservations systems and most if not all of the
worlds banks. They are not at the bleeding edge of technology but at
a spot where if something new comes around they will offer it if
there is a demand for it.

So I think you should rethink  the above statement.

Ed