[X4U] "Backwards Compatibility"

zapcat zapcat at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 18 08:10:16 PDT 2008

actually, there are many instances where "using 50 cpus" IS the best,
smartest thing to do.
one example with which you may have familiarity is in the world of 3D
animation. You may have heard the term "render farm." This springs from
the basic concept that many working together are more powerful than one
working alone.

And, that concept is older than dirt. You see it by other names, like:
"team," "company," "country."

I'd caution you against conflating "innovation" with "new."
Innovations are often new; not everything new is an innovation.  There
are scores of applications which are released chock-full of new
"features," which turn out to be useless and/or buggy, and which were
favored over fixing bread and butter tools simply because that won't
sell more software.

I guess the message here is, don't buy the marketing message that
"buying the latest stuff will make you better," because the truth is:
"buying the latest stuff will make software/hardware companies richer."

zc