[X4U] Leopard alleged instability

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Jun 20 08:17:09 PDT 2008

At 9:44 AM -0400 6/20/08, Jon wrote:
>As a sample of one, I have been running Leopard since its release
>with maybe two crashes in the whole time. I use several mail apps,
>several browsers, Apple apps, Office 2004 and 2008, and Solitaire
>Til Dawn, and AOL radio, among others. I regard myself as I'm a
>heavy and advanced user. The apps crash occasionally, but the system
>has been rock solid.
>
>It's revealing that the posters that complain about system stability
>in one post, in another post mention all the non-Apple adapters that
>they use. Through the years I've found that hardware gizmos and
>"enhancement" software are often the culprits in system crashes.
>Which makes sense when you think about it.

In the MacBook I'm complaining about stability issues with it runs
10.5.3, iLife '08, and MS Office 2004.  Oh, and it also has Firefox
2.x and X-Windows, but I don't believe anyone uses them, they're on
there in case I want them.  The only "weird" hardware attached is an
IBM USB Mouse (I think it's really a Logitec, and I use the same
mouse on my G5).

There are typically two user accounts logged in, my wife, whom I
believe I have setup as an Admin account, and our son who is on a
restricted account with parental controls set.  He can crash the
computer by switching to the login screen, logging out, or visiting
some kids site with Safari.  I think the Disney site is the big one
that causes problems.

I like stable systems, so I avoid 3rd party add-ons to the OS like the plague.

Zane