[X4U] Hard Drive Recovery How Ridiculous

Geoffrey Loeffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Sat Jun 21 15:06:25 PDT 2008

This is what still makes X flat out stink. You can not easily just
back it up .
Now yes, I will be flooded with this works and that works and oh yes
time machine and it's so easy.

Well in practice, I don't think so, and I use a lot of methods
including .Mac or Mr Cloud, or whatever they decided the silly name
was. I also watch the average people who use the Mac and backing up
is not part of their use pattern, why, it is not easy and intuitive.

I was reading a TidBits article http://db.tidbits.com/article/9639
and there are 99 programs to back up your mac, according to the
author, who wrote the eBook Backing Up Your Mac. Which I also own.
Gee I wish we had  10% of that in good office substitutes and word
processors

That is absurd and shows the poor state of doing something that was
so simple. Better hope you do not have to restore from the back up
either, that can be an expedition in futility. Now I know power users
will jump in and go no problem , I just do this and it's done. What
about the average user or the switcher. This is a trail filled with
deep holes just waiting to break your back up logs as the data is so
strung out over a so many folders.

Now how hard was this in Mac OS 7 to 9, I had back ups coming out my
ears. Simply drag and drop and it's done, you can boot off it and
everything is there and ran just fine. What happened. How did the
best back up turn into no back up.

It's so complicated that the Apple answer is to attach a hard disk to
copy every keystroke, and that is not fool proof, because it's still
a hard drive and has all the built in problems of any hard drive back
up. More because it's powered on all the time. So while offering some
protection and  I can see some good things for the future, why is it
still so difficult that this is the best Apple can come up with.

Please something simple that works both ways, copy and restore. Until
they fix this complication, it is a disaster just waiting to happen,
to the majority of users who do not back up regularly and odds are
that is the majority of users. They rely instead on the crummy
quality of the hard drives coming out today.  Which is not to good. I
bought a new one, Hitachi that was dead out of the box. Odds of that,
the store was not surprised, said oh it must have been a bad run.
That makes the 3rd HD  failure in 2 weeks and before that I have not
had one in 20 years.

Then when you do lose the data , look at the cost to recover it could
run in the thousands.  Absolutely absurd that in 2008, when they have
harnessed such power in computers, back up is not drag and drop
either way. It shows that we have made leaps in hardware speed, but
in software, well they keep upgrading the programs and getting $200
$300 every upgrade, but do they really do anything easier, no, just
make a market for buying 10 pound books, on how to learn to  run a
program easier.

For sure none of the back up programs are complete, easy and work
both ways with out problems. Please Apple, go back to the basics. on
this one.

Geoff