[X4U] Hard Drive Recovery How Ridiculous

Wayne Clodfelter wayneclodfelter at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 21 16:08:12 PDT 2008

Geoffrey Loeffler wrote:
> This is what still makes X flat out stink. You can not easily just back
> it up .
> Now yes, I will be flooded with this works and that works and oh yes
> time machine and it's so easy.
>
> Well in practice, I don't think so, and I use a lot of methods including
> .Mac or Mr Cloud, or whatever they decided the silly name was.

If you get flooded with this works and that works, well maybe it's
because you are so wrong! Yes, in practice.

I do not like Time Machine. I think it's a dumb idea directed toward
computer users Apple thinks are dumb. If I thought I had to be able to
recreate my entire system to a precise moment in the past, I'd just
leave it in the past.
I do a scheduled weekly backup using inTech Software's SpeedTools
Utilities for Mac OS X. It is a bundle of utilities that includes
QuickBack. QuickBack makes scheduled backups of my startup volume that
duplicate it exactly onto another volume. It's as simple as navigating
to the boot volume to select it as SOURCE volume and navigating to my
backup volume to select it as DESTINATION volume. If the boot volume
goes belly up, I can boot from the backup and restore to it--or the
replacement drive--from the backup.
It really IS that simple! And it works. In practice.

An OEM version of SpeedTools Utilities for Mac OS X is sometimes
included with the purchase of hard drives from macsales.com (Other World
Computing).

--
Regards,

Wayne Clodfelter