[X4U] Hard Drive Recovery How Ridiculous

Geoffrey Loeffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Mon Jun 23 12:41:38 PDT 2008

On Jun 21, 2008, at 3:08 PM, Wayne Clodfelter wrote:

> If you get flooded with this works and that works, well maybe it's
> because you are so wrong! Yes, in practice.
> I do a scheduled weekly backup using in Tech Software's SpeedTools
> Utilities for Mac OS X. It is a bundle of utilities that includes
> QuickBack.
> It really IS that simple! And it works. In practice.

Along with 98 other programs, all who have there very strong
supporters. It sounds good, and I have checked it out, but so do all
the rest and it's at least $89.95, although OWC does offer it in on
some drives, however not any of the last 4 lap top drives I bought in
the last month along with enclosures and long a box full of other items.

At 5:06 PM -0700 6/21/08, John Baltutis wrote:
> SuperDuper!, and Disk Utility, for example, are simple and
> inituitive. If
> backing up isn't part of an average user's paradigm, then they've
> haven't been
> paying attention

That the average user can not simply drag and drop and have a boot
copy of his HD and include everything. This is not from lack of
paying attention, or there would not be 99 programs or more to back
things up. I could teach over the phone this very simple task in the
Previous OS. Every program mentioned has it's problems and weak
points, works good at back up but restore is problematic or  the
other way around.   Apple's  admittance to the problem,  was to
select an "automatic"  methodology just add more layers. You may have
more layers but the underlying problem is there. Let us not get to
overly pompous at the success and acceptance that Apple has enjoyed.
We still need to not only make movie magic for the big screen, but
let the average person work and not lose all there data and then be
told what it will cost. Of the 5 people who I got to buy a Mac this
year, either switching up from OS 9  #1 and  #4 being switchers, I
could not convince the importance to buy a separate HD to only 1 .
The say I just spent $3400.00 why do I need to spend $350.00 more .
It's just something that has been poorly designed from the start and
if you go and look at the Apple boards , even though Apple takes a
fair share down, it's clear people have trouble.

Geoff
Government of the corporations, by the corporations, for the
corporations…
and their buddies.