[X4U] "Backwards Compatibility"

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Jun 24 20:18:24 PDT 2008

At 2:49 AM -0500 6/24/08, Eugene wrote:
>68k: end-of-line hardware.
>
>SPARC: mainframes.
>
>PA-RISC: more obscure mainframes.

Realistically dropping all three of these made sense, SPARC and
PA-RISC never really made sense to me.  You do have an interesting
definition of "Mainframe" though.  I think Fujitsu or someone like
them used Ultra Sparc chips in something resembling a mainframe, but
most SPARC and PA-RISC machines have been workstations.  Basically
PowerMac G5 type machines.  I doubt very few people have ever bought
a brand new SPARC to run something other than Solaris, or a PA-RISC
to run something other than HP-UX.

>  > Is there a point to all of this, probably not, but you have to wonder
>>  what Mac OS X would look like had it been based on BeOS, rather than Mac
>>  OS X.
>
>BeOS was just an OS, nothing more (well, there was the BeBox, but that's
>goen the way of the dodo).  NeXT was an OS, a programming environment, a
>hardware platform, and a mature (but small) customer base.

Good point on the programming environment.  The hardware platform was
already dead (like the BeBox).  What did the NeXT customer base move
to?  Does anyone even know?  I know I've not heard anyone every
comment on that.

Zane