[X4U] "Backwards Compatibility"

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Jun 25 03:27:25 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:18:24PM CDT, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
> At 2:49 AM -0500 6/24/08, Eugene wrote:
>>
>> BeOS was just an OS, nothing more (well, there was the BeBox, but that's
>> goen the way of the dodo).  NeXT was an OS, a programming environment, a
>> hardware platform, and a mature (but small) customer base.
>
> Good point on the programming environment.  The hardware platform was
> already dead (like the BeBox).  What did the NeXT customer base move to?
> Does anyone even know?  I know I've not heard anyone every comment on
> that.

When NeXT as a dedicated hardware platform died, the customer base went
to the NEXTSTEP OS.  When the NEXTSTEP OS as a dedicated OS platform
died, the customer base then went to OPENSTEP for Solaris and WinNT.
When OPENSTEP died, the customer base then went to Mac OS X.  Evolution.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/