[X4U] The ARDAgent security hole: What you need to know

..lj darwin at ljsworld.com
Mon Jun 30 17:24:38 PDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 16:35, Richard H Stoddard wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:29:07 -0700, ..lj wrote:
>>
>> On a Mac in the last 2 years, most anti-virus programs has caused
>> problems with Macs.  I'm not going to install software that will like
>> cause problems to protect myself from problems that as yet don't
>> exists.
>
> I've been using Avast! for the past year, and have had zero problems
> with it or my system as a result of using it.

I've NOT been using Avast! for the last 5 years and had zero problems
with any virus or Mal-ware.  Has Avast! found any real issues? Has it
had any false alerts that you had to deal with?

Bottom line. I get no satisfaction that the software hasn't caused any
noticeable problems in you system; especially if it hasn't provided
any useful service other than the use idle cycles on your CPU. I would
still rather take the risk of non-existent viruses then the coding
abilities of a Anti-Virus software maker.  Putting 3rd party software
at that level is always risky. I just want a counter risk sufficient
to cause concern before I'm willing to take it.  Good Internet
discipline is better that any of these programs.
..lj