[X4U] Multi-function Printer Recommendations

Gene Steinberg gene at macnightowl.com
Thu Mar 6 06:13:07 PST 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 7:07 AM, Jesse Leo wrote:
> None of the above - the toner carts cost as much as the *&#!$ unit
> itself,
> and last about two weeks with moderate use. We don't print at home
> anymore
> unless it's an emergency...

My best experiences are with Canon multifunctions. Both the 830 and
the new 850 are really great (the latter has built-in Ethernet). They
print on a par with a standalone printer -- a rarity -- and Canon's
consumables are relatively inexpensive in the scheme of things. Both
use 5 ink tanks, separate colors, so you replace only the color that
is used. Retail pricing is $15-16 per tank. Sam's Club sells combo
packs with all 5 cartridges in the mid-50s (not always available but
great when they are). As far as cost per page, this is about as low as
you'll get with inkjet. Anything cheaper is laser.

_ _ _ _
Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Publisher/Editor, The Mac Night Owl