[X4U] Transferred Text Edit files messed up

nk netkat at comcast.net
Tue Mar 11 12:04:44 PDT 2008

I've already tangled with transferring a load of Text Edit files from
one Mac to another, finding I couldn't open them, and learning the
solution was to Zip the folder, THEN transfer them. That solution
worked.

Basically.

Now I"m seeing that some of these transferred files are *loaded* with
all sorts of wierd code...long strings of it, and peppered throughout
with backslashes.

I find this to be problematic, because when I transfer a file, my
expectation is that the file is, simply, moved to a new computer
without being mangled or having whacky code inserted into it.

I've never seen this happen with any of my video, photoshop, or 3D
files, or really ANY other than Text Edit files.

Can someone tell me why Text Edit files sometimes get mangled when
transferred (even if zipped first) and how to stop it from happening
in the future?

thank you!