[X4U] Word 2008/2004 Bullet Issue

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 11 13:09:39 PDT 2008

On Mar 11, 2008, at 10:58 AM, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> My versions of Word 2008/04 won't show bullets on the Mac at all
> even though
> it shows a bullet and says "bullet" it comes up as a square box
> even if it's
> made on a Mac to start with and hasn't gone anywhere near a PC. I
> don't
> think it's a font issue especially with the people that I deal with
> on the
> PC (Win) end of things who have different fonts on their home
> computers/laptops where their docs originated from yet their
> bullets on
> Win/PC never fail to work properly on our machines (which they need
> to print
> from). And the Mac bullets don't work at all.
>
> You can customize the bullets on Mac Word 2008 with Option-8 but
> they don't
> line up directly across from the list they are supposed to be
> "bulleting"
> the way "real" bullets do. This has proven to be an unacceptable
> workaround
> to our clients who use bullets mainly for resumes and are
> incredibly fussy
> and picky on how they want their resumes to look. From a marketing
> standpoint this makes our Macs look poorly to our clients many of
> who have
> little exposure to Apple.
>

> SNIP--------------

I have had similar issues with Word Perfect and indeed the bullets
that WP supplies (or what WP uses) are really small. In WP I believe
you have to create you own bullet in the size you want. I don't know
zip about Word.

I will have to admit it is *NOT* easy to figure out that it needs to
be done. If you find someone that is a wizard in whatever word
processing program  don't bug them for every problem but keep them
for the hard to diagnose problems like this. Buy them a lunch  or
dinner once or twice a year and only use them 2-3 times a year.

Ed