[X4U] Back up ideas/suggestions needed....

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Fri Mar 14 21:58:26 PDT 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:02:16 -0500, Ed Gould <edgould1948 at comcast.net>wrote:
> I am going over my backup plan and have basically decided that my
> current backup system is no longer adequate and need some insight for
> a new backup system.

This is what I do to back up my Macs:
I have two external drives devoted to each machine. Each has the same or
larger size as the Mac¹s internal HD.  Each has been cloned from the
internal HD using either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.  The Mac can
boot off of either.  I know, I¹ve tested them.

Once a week, in rotation, I do an incremental backup to one of the external
HDs.  This is a painless and quick process which usually takes less than a
half hour, because the software copies only the files that have changed.  I
do this for each Mac.

The drives live in an insulated picnic cooler in the trunk of my car.  I
don¹t have to remember to take them with me (assuming that I¹ll be home
during the fire/flood/burglary/visiting grandkid).

On top of this, I maintain DVDs of files I feel worthy of archiving in
storage at an undisclosed location.

And finally, I use Leopard¹s Time Machine to maintain a constant backup,
updated hourly, to yet another external HD which lives on my desk. I highly
recommend this; it is the killer application which justifies upgrading to
Leopard.

This belt-and-suspenders approach gives me one backup on my desk plus two
more offsite, with an investment of less than an hour a week total for the
two Macs I use regularly.