[X4U] Storage on mirrored external drive

Said Nuseibeh photo at studiosaid.com
Sun Mar 30 10:00:51 PDT 2008

Thanks all for the ideas.

I had problems in the past moving files amongst different machines and
Users and hard drives where the Permissions got crossed and I was
blocked access. That's one of the reasons for my query: eliminate
potential Permission conflicts at the get-go.

Another reason is that Finder navigation to data backed up to a bootable
external is a bit of a hunt-and-peck operation and of which which I
quickly grow tired. It is nice to know that placing files at root will
not adversely effect bootability. But I really like the idea of two
partitions. Yup, I've done it before but it just slipped my mind. Always
nice to have recourse to such diverse and friendly experience of you
folks!

>Assuming that you keep those incremental files on your main hard
>drive....

Alas, Daly, we cannot make this assumption. I'm pumping image
information in and out (as soon as possible) of my laptop's drive. The
goal for me is to have multiple copies of this information safely on
externals AND free up disk space AND have start-up redundancy. Time
Machine seems targetted toward a different niche. And I do not think
that SuperDuper allows us to schedule the copy of only new files.

Linda... I'm a guy running a PB 1.67 G4 with 2GB RAM, amongst a few
other machines and doorstops. I can and will upgrade someday when my
important software is modified for 10.5 and I have the time to massage
any blips. It was indeed hard for me to let a couple of those Classic
apps go, but now they are just faint fond memories.

Much Obliged,
-Said