[X4U] Very weird disk corruption - pleas for help!

John Douglass douglass at cs.clemson.edu
Mon Mar 31 07:28:00 PDT 2008

On Mar 30, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Jim Robertson wrote:
> On 3/28/08 5:27 AM, "Russell McGaha" <RussellMcGaha at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Look at the OWC portable FW drive; they are great and USUALLY quite
>> competitive in price [both the do it your self, what I do, and the
>> pre-built]
>
> What about eSATA? My preliminary understanding is that this interface
> requires a/c power, whereas FW and USB interfaces allow the power to
> be
> supplied by the laptop. Is that correct?
>
> Any preferences for FW vs. USB 2? Can a USB 2 interface drive boot a
> MacBook
> Pro?
>
> Jim Robertson
> --

eSATA -- very nice, except none of my Macs have an eSATA connection.

A USB2 can be used for booting a MacBook Pro, however I prefer FW.  In
my experience FW400 has been sustained file transfer performance than
USB2 on any of the Macs I own (G4 Powerbook, G5 Powermac, MacBook,
and MacBook Pro 17") and FW800 on the ones that have it, well it is
screaming fast.

That said, USB2 works fine and I tend to buy cases that will work with
either as I never know when I might need one or the other.

-- John