[X4U] Mozy backup service referrals seem a nifty idea

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sat May 3 16:01:50 PDT 2008

On 5/3/08 4:03 PM, Neil Laubenthal wrote:

> . . .after about 30 seconds or so the application is "not
> responding" and must be force quit.

After 30 seconds? what happens if you wait a little bit longer? It takes
longer than 30 seconds for my computer to "calculate size" on my hard disk,
when I turn *that* on, and that's local to my computer -- imagine that it
could take several minutes to calculate size over an internet connection.

"Application Not Responding" does *not* mean that the app is hung and must
be force quit! It means that the app isn't responding at that moment in
time. There are lots of apps that report that they are not responding, when
in fact they are just busy and can't accept input -- when launching, Adobe
Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, and Illustratpr all tell me "Not Responding"
if I look at the process while launching. QuarkXPress is another. Entourage
is another. None of these apps are in fact hung, they are just busy.

I imagine that's the case with Mozy, as well. I think you might need to give
it several minutes to actually calculate the size remotely, and by then you
might have given it time to work through the "not responding" phase of it.

HTH,
Linda