[X4U] Mozy backup service referrals seem a nifty idea

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Mon May 5 03:49:31 PDT 2008

On 5/5/08 12:46 AM, "Jamie Kahn Genet"  wrote an extraordinary message on
5/5/08 12:46 AM, when I received this message, I became so excited that I
was forced to take an extra Xanax.

> I just thought it would be handy to have extra space in the month or
> so I'm trailing Mozy. No way am I paying for a service like this
> without plenty of testing, even if it is dirt cheap. Or maybe because
> it's dirt cheap.
>
> Cheers,
>  Jamie Kahn Genet
>
> 2008/5/5 Jim Colgate <ColgateList at cox.net>:
>> Jamie,
>>
>>  Just curious. You started this thread with the idea that you get an extra
>>  gigabyte for every 4 friends that you refer. And yet you say here that you
>>  get unlimited backup for only $4.95 per month. What is the value of an extra
>>  gigabyte or two on top of unlimited? :-)
>>
>>    Jim

Well, I didn't want to be obstinate and I thought I would give it a fair
chance after all of the praise CrashPlan was receiving here.  So, I went and
purchased it.
I chose to back up my personal account.  It began the process and has given
me an estimate of 10 days to perform this task.  Wow, that's super!  The
only problem is that in 9 days, I'm leaving for Europe.
In addition, I want to state up front that I have BOTH DSL (AT&T's fastest)
and Comcast Cable.  I have 2 home networks set up, one for Comcast and one
for AT&T--I chose to use CrashPlan with AT&T (which, of course I'm using now
to send this message) as Comcast is faster and most of my computers use that
network.
With CrashPlan running in the background as it says it will, network
activity has slowed to a crawl.  Web pages that used to load in seconds now
take as long as a minute (sometimes more) to display.  Sending and receiving
Email is ridiculously slow and happily this will be the case for the next 10
days while CrashPlan is backing up my user account--I couldn't be
happier--NOT!!!!!!
I don't know what type of internet connections you people have, but I used
to think that I had 2 of the fastest available to the public and I don't
live in a back-water hick town, I live in Miami.
So, I began this upload yesterday and the progress bar is at about a small
fraction of the way complete.  My plan, cut my losses and uninstall this
HOG.  10 days to back up my user account, that is simply ridiculous.  I
guess if you just want to back up your documents, or some small files this
would work but this is unacceptable to me.

Tim
--
Tim Collier
MacBook 2.2 gig 2 gig RAM