[X4U] transferring a digital audio source (DAT) directly to the hard drive

Ed Hall ehall at mac.com
Wed May 14 16:04:17 PDT 2008

I have a lot of DAT tapes to convert to cd, and put on Internet
Archive. Currently I use Wiretap Pro to capture the signal, but I
believe both that and Audacity capture the analog signal created by
the computer for the speakers. My DAT player has both Toslink and
Coax digital outputs. Can any of you come up with an inexpensive way
to capture the original digital signal?

I currently record onto my 400MHz iMac (graphite), but I could record
onto my PowerMac with dual 533MHZ processors.

Ed Hall