[X4U] imac and beach ball

Christopher Collins maclist at analogdigital.com.au
Mon May 19 16:52:11 PDT 2008

You don't say how you reinstalled Leopard, so I'll go with some guesses.

Bring the machine back to it's original RAM, new HDD and do an "erase
and install" installation of leopard.

Download and Install 10.5.2

Let Software Update download all other updates.

If the system IS NOT working fine at this point, then the HDD is
probably at fault.

If the system appears to be working fine at this point, then install
the extra RAM (altho I think you might find that is your problem.)

To the best of my knowledge, the chip set used in all the current
iMacs  supports only 2GB sticks of RAM.

So you can install 2 * 2gb and get about 3.5GB (due to chip set
losses). I have done it here on my MacBook Pro C2D 17" (seems like my
MBP might match yours) and it works brilliantly well.

And it's much cheaper than buying 3gb sticks too!

cjc